Affairs TV News

News Beyond Headlines


Fire guts Lagos market building, govt blames carelessness

The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service has determined that the cause of a fire that consumed a three-story building in the Apongbon area of the state was due to the careless handling of a generator set. The fire, which erupted around 12:24 pm on Monday, inflicted damage on various goods whose value is yet to be estimated. The building, occupied by wig vendors, faced destruction, but prompt intervention from the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service prevented further escalation of the blaze.

Margaret Adeseye, Director of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, disclosed in a statement that the fire originated from the second floor of the building housing different hair wig businesses. The swift response from multiple fire crews, including those stationed at Ebute Elefun, Sari Iganmu, Dolphin, and Alausa, along with the Federal Fire Service, helped contain the fire despite challenges posed by the difficult terrain and concerns among traders.

Fortunately, there were no casualties recorded in the incident. Adeseye attributed the cause of the fire to the negligent handling of a generator. This incident underscores the importance of fire safety measures and responsible handling of electrical equipment.

This occurrence echoes previous fire incidents in the state, including the devastating fire at the Mandilas building on Broad Street in January, where thousands of traders lost their goods. Additionally, a plank market at Awori bus stop in Abule Egba caught fire in February, resulting in significant property damage. Another fire incident in March engulfed four buildings at Dosumu Market in the Idumota area, leading to the collapse of at least two buildings. These incidents serve as reminders of the critical need for fire prevention and safety measures in the state.

About The Author


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *