Governor Abdullahi Ganduje has slammed the death penalty on phone snatchers in Kano State.
Ganduje, through the Kano State Security Council, on Sunday, declared phone snatching as armed robbery, and any individual or group caught in the act will be treated with the death penalty.
The outgoing Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Malam Muhammad Garba, disclosed this in a statement issued to newsmen in Kano.
He said the council, which was presided over by Ganduje during its valedictory session, noted that the perpetration of the act in recent times has reached worrisome heights and therefore needs drastic measures.
Garba also stated that the council has agreed to put in place a special squad within the security system to deal with the menace and other acts of criminality.
The commissioner added that the council, while deliberating on the swearing-in of the new governor, said that all necessary measures had been taken to ensure a peaceful ceremony and warned miscreants who might use the occasion to cause violence in the name of celebrations to refrain from such act.
“Destruction of properties belonging to the public, individual or the opposition will not be tolerated as adequate measures have been taken to deal with such act decisively,” the statement added.
He said during the meeting, Ganduje reiterated the need for a smooth transition of power in the state and called for a peaceful ceremony. He thanked the security agencies in the state for all the cooperation extended to him throughout his tenure and urged them to maintain the tempo.
The meeting was attended by virtually all the heads of the security agencies and other council members.