“Our administration recognizes the importance of intra and inter-city roads to facilitate movement of goods and people. We will continue to muster resources to build strategic roads across the state.” – Governor Adegboyega Oyetola November 27, 2018.
One of the focal points of the present Government of Osun is the improvement of infrastructure, including rehabilitation and construction of roads across the State which is crucial to harnessing socioeconomic opportunities available in the State.
Over the years, the Works and Transport Sector has continued to receive priority attention, especially with regard to the completion of inherited roads and the construction of new ones. Shortly before the outbreak of Covid-19, precisely in February 2020, Governor Oyetola approved the construction of five roads across major towns in the State which include: Ada-Igbajo road, Akindeko-Awosuru link road via Adejumo street with Oremeji spur, Akinlade street, Adewale Street with a loop to WAEC road all in Osogbo, Army Barack (Ede)-Ara-Ejigbo township road, Moro-Yakoyo-Ipetumodu-Asipa-Ife/Ibadan expressway junction road and Ereja Roundabout-Ereguru-Isaare-Oke Oye Sabo (Irojo)-llesa/Akure Expressway Junction, with a total length of 54.3km and have all been completed.
Interestingly, most of the new roads being constructed and the few ones being rehabilitated had not been touched in the last 30 years or more. For instance, the road linking the Origbomeje in Ife North Local Government Area of the State was last touched in 1976. Similarly, the Alekuwodo road was last rehabilitated when Osogbo was still under the old Oyo State before the creation of Osun in 1991, while Ada-Igbajo road was last touched 33 years ago.
The massive road construction in the State has been funded through a new scheme called the “Alternative Project Funding Approach” (APFA) . Under the new paradigm, the contractor puts in resources and later gets refunded by the government through a schedule that removes pressure on the State’s meager purse.
For instance, the iconic Olaiya flyover is being financed through an Alternative Project Funding Approach (APFA). Also worthy of note in this sector is the engagement of local contractors and artisans in projects by the Oyetola-led Administration.
This unprecedented feat can only be achieved under a dependable leader with content and impeccable character.
SOME MAJOR ROAD PROJECTS INITIATED BY THE OYETOLA-LED ADMINISTRATION
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND LOCATION
Adejumi Street-WACC Awasuru Roundabout
Akindeko Street Oremeji Street
Akomo Awodele Street
Prof Rasak Deremi Abubakar Street
Engr. Bunmi Ayegoro Street
Alhaja Sidikat Adunni Hassan Street
Bishop Felx Owolabi Street
Engineer Benjamin Olamijulo Close
Kayode Fasola Close
Engineer Adepoju Street
Prof Mojeed Drive
Reconstruction of Okegada, (Ede)to Army Barrack Junction to Awo Junction
Reconstruction of Army Barrack Junction, (Ede) to Ara Junction.
Reconstruction of Moro Junction to Ipetumodu-Yakoyo to Asipa to Ife/Ibadan Expressway Junction.
Reconstruction 4.3km of Ereja Roundabout to Ereguru to Isaare- Oke Oye-Sabo(Irojo) – Ilesa/Akure Expressway Junction
Reconstruction of itaasin (St. Stephen Church) – Our lady School – Police
Divisional Headquarters, Famia Road. Reconstruction of Ada-lgbajo Road.
Reconstruction of Aagba township Road Osogbo-Kelebe-Iragbiji Road
Completion of Ogbun Idio Road
Rehabilitation of Odo Oori – Adeeke Road, Iwo
Completion of State High Court Road Network Completion of Ikirun ( Idi Esu)-Iragbiji-Ororuwo – Ada Road
Rehabilitation of Dele Yes Sir Roundabout to Okefia Roundabout
Rehabilitation of Isare Ifofin- Iloro -Akewusola Road
Rehabilitation of Ita Akogun – Ayetoro Road
Rehabilitation of Naira and Kubo Junction (Ikire) – Apomu- Ife/Ibadan Expressway
Rehabilitation of Mobil Petrol Station idi Oro Junction – Court Junction-
Alasunkada Junction Rehabilitation of UNIOSUN Ejigbo campus road along Ejigbo/Iwo Road
INHERITED FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ROADS BEING CONSTRUCTED BY THE OYETOLA-LED GOVERNMENT
- Osogbo-Ikirun-Okuku-lla-Odo – Kwara State Boundary.
- Gbogan-Akoda Road.
- East Bye Pass Road, known as Oba Adesoji Aderemi Way
RECENTLY APPROVED AND ONGOING ROAD PROJECTS
- GOF Junction- Flurentinal Junction Ori Oke Pure Water, Osogbo.
- Ikirun to Eko Ende Road, Ikirun.
- Nike Gallery-Ido Osun township-Airport road with 250m Palace Spur.
- Kuta Palace – Isale Oba to Asamu Road.
- lloro-Aganun-Division C Police HQ Road, Ile Ife.
- Olufi Market-Oke Church-Adenuga Junction-Adebisi Akande Trumpet Bridge, Gbongan.
- Lautech Internal roads Network /First Bank – Ajegunle Osogbo.
OSUN RURAL ACCESS AND MOBILITY PROJECT (O’RAMP)
In addition, the present Administration has sustained road rehabilitation, construction of river crossing, and mechanized maintenance of roads under the Osun Rural Access and Mobility Project (O’RAMP). In ensuring the further opening of rural roads towards the development of rural areas and linkage to the market, the State government is vigorously pursuing the RAMP intervention project with the expectation that it will massively impact the maintenance of rural feeder roads.
Projects implemented under RAMP II intervention program are:
- Agbowu-Aba Onile Road. (13.73km)
- Ogbaagba-Eleru-Bode-Osi Road. (13.73km)
- Asa-Dagbolu-Ajagunlaase Road. (31.1km)
- Ikonifi-Sade-Ajagunlaase Road. (12.73km)
- Agoro-Ikonifin Road. (11.1km)
- Akinleye-Aba-Ayo-Isero. (4.38km)
- Farm Settlement Spur. (1km)
- Eeleke-Kanko Road, lleogbo.
- Onikoko-Osisooko. (10.5km)
- Gbengbeleku Junction-Owode Amu Road. (10km)
- Completion of Ogbun Idio Road, Ilesha.
- Completion of Ikirun (Idi Esu)-Iragbiji-Ororuwo-Ade Road.
- Elewonta River on Oke-Ola Elewonta Road in Ayedade Local Government.
- Dabongbo (Ohun River) Ago-Owu Farm Settlement in Ayedade Local Government.
- Olomu Stream Fidiwo/Funmilayo Road in Irewole Local Government.
- Oke-Afo/Alawe Stream (OkeAfo-Oluponna Road), Iwo Local Government.
- Eyin-Ade Stream at Okutaaje Area, Ire, Boripe Local Government.
- Osese River, Boripe Local Government.
- Aatan Stream Koko Road, Polytechnic Road, Iree, Boripe Local Government.
- Olukesi Farm, Ojueri Iresi (Obuke River), Boluwaduro Local Government.
- Ipon Stream Agbelejere Road (Ejeo River), Oyan-Otan
Ayegbaju Road, Odo-Otin Local Government. 22. Lawoka Junction-Apoje Junction. (39.164km)
- llesa-llo-Olomo Boundary. (3km)
- llesa-Odogbo-Igbowiwi Road. (8.8km)
- Ikeji-Arakeji-Aikulola Road.
- Ira-Bete Road.
- Owere River at Araromi, Owode-Ede, Ede South Local Government.
- Gbalefefe Stream at Modakeke, Ife East Local Government.
- Oke-Aho, Sekona (Isule River), Ede south local government.
- Faweri via Ipetumodu (Ata River), Ife South Local Government.
- Ogudu (Ogbaagba River), Ife South Local Government.
- Dagbaja-Apoti 2 via Bankemo (Alakasa River) Oriade Local Government.
- Oroki River (Otan-lle-Igbajo Road) Obokun Local Government.