In what seems to many like a dream though its a reality, the Supreme Court of Nigeria ruled on Tuesday that Hope Uzodinma the candidate of the All Progressive Congress in the Last General Election in Imo is the duly elected Governor of the state and should be sworn in immediately, removing Emeka Ihedioha who had served as the Governor of Imo State for 8months.
A lot of people were left in a amazement and on Wednesday the Independent National Electoral Commission issued certificate of return and by evening, Senator Hope Uzodinma was sworn in as the Governor of Imo state and there the hope of Imo state was sealed.
Affairs TV brings you 10 things that you need to know about Hope Uzodinma
1. Senator Hope Uzodinma picked the APC ticket seven months after he left the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
2. Uzodinma came fourth behind Emeka Ihedioha (PDP), Nwosu (Action Alliance) and Ifeanyi Ararume (All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).
3. While Ihedioha polled 273,404 votes, Nwosu, Ararume and Uzodinma secured 190,364; 114,676; and 96,458 votes respectively. Uzodinma challenged the victory of Ihedioha up to the apex court and won.
4. Uzodinma became prominent in Imo politics in the early 2000s as a PDP member. In 2003, he ran for governor of the state on the ticket of Alliance for Democracy (AD) but he did not win.Tears, jubilation in Imo over Supreme Court judgment
5. He returned to the PDP and in 2006, sought the ticket of the party to contest the governorship election again but lost at the primary poll to Ararume.
6. Uzodinma who was later appointed a PDP board of trustees (BoT) member, was first elected into the Senate in 2011. He was reelected in 2015.
7. Before the 2000s, Uzodinma was the youth leader of the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN) in Imo in the second republic. He was also a prominent member of the now-defunct United Nigeria Congress Party (UNCP).
8. He also has been involved in the oil and gas sector through SMIEC Chemical Engineering & Construction Company Limited, his company, which he used to execute many projects for the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
9. He obtained his secondary school certificate from Mgbidi Secondary School, Orlu west in 1982.
10. Uzodinma has a bachelor’s degree in international studies and a diploma in transport studies. He is also a recipient of an honorary doctorate degree from the Imo state university