Following reports that gunmen attacked the country home of former President Goodluck Jonathan in Otuoke, Ogbia local government area of Bayelsa state, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has demanded a thorough probe of the incident.
In a statement sent to journalists by the APC national publicity secretary, Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, the ruling party described the incident as ‘shocking.’ “The APC joins other well-meaning Nigerians in condemning the attack in its entirety. We call on security agencies to fish out the perpetrators and their sponsors. “We extend condolences to the family of the soldier who reportedly died in the attack. The party also wishes the other injured soldier a full and speedy recovery,” part of the statement read. Jonathan was, however, not in Otuoke when the incident occurred. Deposit photos Recall that Benue state governor, Samuel Ortom, described the attack as a national shame.
In a statement sent to journalists by his spokesman, Terver Akase, on Wednesday, December 25, Governor Ortom condemned the attack and wondered why armed men would want to harm a peace-loving man and former president of the country. Gov Okowa condemns attack on Goodluck Jonathan’s hometown He posed that if Dr Jonathan could be attacked in such a manner, what becomes of vulnerable Nigerians.
Spend less on the Internet! Similarly, Delta state governor, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa condemned the attack in strong terms.
In a statement by his spokesman, Mr Olisa Ifeajika, on Tuesday, December 24 in Asaba, the governor said the incident was disturbing and unwarranted.
He said it was more condemnable because the former president was a peace-loving man who always preached peaceful political engagements. He stated that Jonathan had been a great patriot and a promoter of peaceful politics, and did not deserve to be attacked in his home town or anywhere else.